A turmeric or digestive tonic is fantastic in Winter for immune boosting and to keep colds and flus at bay…
Our Gaia Signature Turmeric Tonic boasts a range of health benefits. It is anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-viral. It detoxifies the liver and pancreas, as such should only be consumed in small doses (e.g. 150ml per day) as turmeric thins the blood.
The amounts given for the ingredients will change depending on season and potency, and how your palate balances the flavours. A sprinkle of black pepper or cayenne pepper over the tonic enhances the absorption of essential nutrients in the turmeric.
This recipe can be halved and lasts for 3 days in the fridge.
Signature Turmeric Tonic
- 100g fresh Ginger
- 100g fresh Turmeric
- 1 Lemon, large, skin, pith and seeds removed
- Honey to taste (approx. 2 tbsp.)
Makes Approx. 700ml
- Roughly chop ginger and turmeric.
- Place in a blender with lemon and honey. Cover with 500ml filtered water. Blend for two minutes, then strain.
- Push down on the pulp in the strainer, with the back of a flexible spatula to extract as much juice as possible.
- Taste and check for balance of flavours. It should be strongly flavoured, as it is a tonic, and only meant to be consumed in small doses.
- Adjust with lemon or honey or dilute with extra water if too strong for your palate.
Enjoy the tonic boost and find more of Gaia’s Head Chef Dan Trewartha’s recipes here –www.gaiaretreat.com.au/gaia-at-a-glance/cuisine-at-gaia