Toasted Brown Rice Porridge
A warm, hearty breakfast for the winter months that is gluten and dairy free...
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Gluten free, dairy free
2 cups organic short or long gram brown rice
1. Place the dry brown rice into a heavy bottomed saucepan on low/medium heat.
2. Stirring every minute or two, dry toast the rice for approximately 10 minutes or until a light toasted smell and sligh colour change is achieved. IIf little burnt spots appear on the grains then the heat is too high and you should turn it down slightly.
3. Place the toasted rice into a blender or food processor and blend for approximately 1.5mins or until a flour is produced.
4. To make up the toasted rice porridge, add 1/4 cup of the ground toasted rice and 1 & 1/2 cups of water with a pinch of sea salt into a small heavy based pot on a low heat. Cook for approximately 8-10 minutes or until the porridge is smooth and soft.
5. Serve hot with a drizzle of maple syrup, some chopped almonds and some banana slice or stewed fruit on top.
Note: You can store left over toasted rice flour in a jar in the fridge.